Are you a prospective scholar looking to study in Austria? You’ll want to know these five things about the place:
1. You might have to learn German: Don’t be alarmed, you will be able to take your courses in English if the option is available, but you might also need to pick up some German skills to interact outside the classroom (which is a great learning opportunity by the way!)
2. Austria is not the same as Germany: They both speak German, but that’s almost as far as the similarities go. Austrians have their own traditions and a clearly distinct and distinguishable culture (Friendly warning: The locals might not appreciate being grouped together with Germans!)
3. Nothing opens on Sundays: Austria is a predominantly Catholic country which means they take the Sabbath day very seriously. So don’t expect to be able to buy anything on Sundays (essentially, buy in advance or you might get stranded).
4. Austrians love the outdoors: And you will too, with the beautiful nature, mountains, lakes and forests! Popular outdoor activity options in Austria include hiking, skiing, and snowboarding, cycling and mountain biking; all very fun ways to keep fit while enjoying nature!
5. You’ll be pleasantly close to the rest of Europe: From Austria; Prague, Budapest and Munich are all easily accessible by train, as are Italy, Switzerland and many other countries worth exploring during your free time. You get the whole experience, study, travel and loads of fun!